Sunday, July 11, 2010

So, I'm going to Africa!

Goodness a lot has happened this past week! In short, I will be traveling to Uganda with Four Corners Ministries Inc! See their website here. We will be meeting up with Fr. Michael in Uganda for four days, then traveling to Sudan. I am going with a group of consisting of a doctor, nurses, and college students and will be assisting with the medical care and distribution of medicine in Uganda. While there, we will also help in many many more ways! I am so excited! Please pray for me, as this will be my very first mission trip and definitely my first time to witness anything on this scale. Please pray also for the others joining us, Four Corners Ministries Inc.’s future projects, and especially for the children and adults in Africa who need food, water, shelter and love from others. This is my letter I’ll be sending out (altered slightly for this blog):

Kelley, Fr. Michael, Me!

Mission 2010: Uganda and Sudan

“Do your best to speed Ze’nas the lawyer and Apol’los on their way; see that they lack nothing. And let our people learn to apply themselves to good deeds, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not to be unfruitful.” -Titus 3:13-14

Dear YOU!

During my first summer in Auburn, Alabama, my church, St. Michael’s hosted a visiting priest from Uganda, Fr. Michael Ssenfuma. He comes from a very poor and war-torn part of the world that struggles everyday for basic needs like food, shelter and basic education. Many children die from preventable diseases and dehydration. Despite this, Fr. Michael is one of the most joyous and inspiring people I have ever met. His love for God and his daily work to do all he can for others has impacted me and everyone he meets in Auburn. Two years ago, during his first summer in the United States, we talked about Uganda and some of his hopes for the future. He wants to show the youth there that God, and other people, really love them, and give them the resources to grow in their faith and live out what God is calling each of them to be.

Since meeting Fr. Michael, I know I needed to do something to help with this mission. In the past my efforts didn’t go far. This year, however, I learned about a group of doctors and nurses from Alabama who will be traveling with Four Corners Ministries Inc. to Uganda to lay the groundwork for a orphanage and help with the medical needs in this desperate part of Africa. When in Uganda, we will meet with Fr. Michael in his hometown of Masaka and provide medical treatment and supplies for extremely impoverished children and their families. We will also travel to Kampala where we will do the same. I am learning how to figure out a person’s eye prescription so that I’ll be able to hand out glasses to those who need them. I will also assist the doctors in whatever way I can with distributing medicine and medical care.

In the next few years, Four Corners Ministries Inc. will be building an orphanage in Uganda. This will be set up in a family structure, where a couple will look after (up to) eight children in a stand alone house. Other houses will form the community of the orphanage. This is called Abaana’s Hope. Abaana is an Ugandan word meaning children. By living in a loving intimate family environment, these children will have the necessary foundation to lead a love-centered life and reach for their dreams.

I will be traveling to Uganda this Thanksgiving break, leaving November 18th and returning November 27th. I am excited that God has allowed me this opportunity to serve Him overseas. By doing this, I hope to spread Christ’s love to whoever I may meet and to also raise awareness of the struggles many children face in Africa. By supporting me first in prayer, you are already improving the world and making this mission a success. Please pray for me during the preparation for and duration of the trip.

You can also support me by providing funds that will allow me to have the opportunity to serve as the “hands and feet of Christ” in Uganda. I have already fundraised about $2,000 for my trip. This leaves about $1,500 left to raise. The cost of the trip includes airfare, food, lodging and other travel expenses. I am still fundraising in other ways, including collecting change to purchase rosaries and informative pamphlets on different topics (such as the sacraments). I’m calling this separate account “Pennies for Prayers”, as it will help give the children a stronger foundation for their faith. Any monies donated can go to either my trip costs, Pennies for Prayers, or directly to Four Corners. Through your support, the love of Christ will be demonstrated to those who are hurting physically, socially, and spiritually.

Thank you for being a part of my support team. I absolutely cannot do this alone, and it can only be done through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Thank you for your investment of prayers and funds. Thank you for caring. It is very encouraging to have people who love the Lord praying for me. God will bless you through your prayers and giving. Colossians 4:2-4 reads:

“Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us also, that God may open a door for the word, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.”

This was Paul’s request to the church of Colossae; I am also making this my request to you. Whether you donate money or resources, the greatest thing that you can do for me is pray. Thank you.

You can contact me at ruth@auburn.edu. You can also donate by clicking the donate button at the top of the page. Learn more about Four Corners Ministries Inc. at 4cornersministries.org
Fr. Michael has a music ministry. His first album, Njagala, is available on iTunes and his second album will be released soon.

In Christ, Ruth Yusckat

p.s. See my itinerary of my trip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment