Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.


I’ve been seeing this quote a lot recently among my friends. While we should remember and live our lives as though we are grateful for what they did and are doing for us, we shouldn’t turn them into something they aren’t. Every time I see this I think, Jesus not only died for our soul, but also that we may have freedom. Only the freedom Jesus offers and the freedom soldiers fight for are different. One is true freedom: free from sin, free to live fully in the life he intended us to have, free to be who we truly are. My mom, and millions others can’t offer that. They fight for the American people so that they may continue to enjoy the rights promised in the Constitution. In doing so, they may find true freedom in Jesus, however many choose not to. The American solider fights anyway. He may not agree with your stance on abortion, or the war, or that God doesn’t exist, however he will still offer his life so that you can continue to believe those things.

This is Article I of the Code of Conduct, which every member of the armed services knows by heart (there are six in all):

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

Freedom is only found in Christ, however the solider is willing to give his life so you may discover that for yourself. Thank you for all that you give for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment