Friday, May 22, 2009

May 22nd

Today is a big day. Although I seem to be having a lot of those lately, this one is calendar worthy. Today, about 3 hours ago, my mom started her journey to Kuwait. About this time tomorrow she’ll be there. For four days she’ll be “climatized” and any final training will be done, then she’ll travel to southern Iraq, where she will be stationed for the next ten months. It’s hard to believe this is really happening. Just six months ago, she was still a BED (behavioral and emotionally disturbed) teacher, who visited about seven different schools a week. She hardly had any contact with the Army at all. Now she is going to join the 34th Infantry Division. They are a National Guard unit out of Minnesota. I’ll be praying every day for her, but I know she’ll be alright.

Today is also the sixth anniversary of my confirmation. May 22nd is becoming a day that means so much. May 22nd also happens to be the feast day of my patron saint, Saint Rita of Cascia. When I realized this “coincidence” over six years ago, I knew it was meant to be. Saint Rita, the patron saint of the impossible and of lost causes, has been there for me more times than recordable, and I know that this day proves once again she’ll be watching out for me. That is how I know my mom will be fine. Of all the days, it’s May 22nd, and what a beautiful day it will be!

Please pray for my mom. She will most assuredly need the prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment