Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Discerning the Will

Foreword: This post relates mostly to ROTC and knowing if joining the military is God’s will. I have a friend (who isn’t Catholic but is a faith-filled Christian) who is struggling with staying in the program. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Me and discerning have always had a funny relationship. Most of the time, I don’t even have to formally discern. I start praying (or even just go about a regular day), and God interrupts by telling me exactly what He wants me to do. Honestly, I wish I could say that I then go and immediately do it and all is well, but, unfortunately, I can’t.

Instead I think “Really? Are you sure? You must mean someone else, because I can't do that.” But then God roars back at me, “You can because I say you can.” Well, what else can I say after that? I shut up and go off, and lo and behold, He gets me through.

I blame myself for this predicament (although it’s a very nice, in a heavenly way, kind of predicament). I know I have problems trusting God, so almost every day I pray that God will do whatever He wants with me. I ask Him to ignore my whining, and literally drag me, if need be, towards Him and to fully trusting Him. I know this isn’t the attitude we are supposed to have, but I have to start somewhere. And since doing this, God has taken full advantage of my offer.

I have no clue as to what I’m doing. God tells me everything. Looking at what has happened in my life thus far, I’m astounded. Looking forward to where all of this is leading me, I am in frightened awe. For all my fighting, and bad attitude and attempts at sabotage, I’m still here, on the same path He put me on. I’ve never seriously questioned God’s will, at least for this aspect of my life. God is making me trust Him. And I thank Him everyday for that.

So what do you do to help someone who doesn’t know where God wants them? Trying to give advice is almost impossible. For me, it doesn’t take much to be hit in the face with God’s plan. But I can’t say that to someone who isn’t experiencing the same thing.

Discernment.

What a journey of patience and trust! Maybe that is why God has to be so “in my face” all the time. I lack both.

So, any suggestions on giving advice about discerning? My friend has good intentions, which I think is a great start. I know prayer is huge, but on time sensitive decisions, is there anything else that can move the discernment process along? Any tips (or comments on how bad a person I am) is appreciated. Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Ruth, discernment is a lot harder for me than what you describe. I rarely get that clear direction from God. Rather, I pursue an endeavor and he will either keep the door open or shut it. For example, with nursing school, I applied. Then I was accepted, but I thought I might need to do something else. I prayed, and talked to a lot of good friends who know me well, and they gave their advice. Then God didn't open any more doors so I knew I was supposed to go to Nursing school. It was simply the opening of the "Nursing school" door and the lack of other open doors that led me to His will. It wasn't magic, but I now know this is His will.

    I think movement in a good direction, following the sound advice of people who know and love you, and then seeing if there are other options that He presents is the best advice I can give on discernment.

    ReplyDelete