Saturday, June 26, 2010

Random things

Some tidbits from the week:
I have always liked P!nk. She is a rocker who doesn't mindlessly follow trends. She has true depth and I've always been attracted to her honesty. Anyway, this song has started playing on the radio. I've always loved it. (I don't know how to upload a song, so just listen to it here.)

Today I finished a class. It feels good to be done with another class. Maybe I will actually graduate one day. Two left to go for the summer!

This week, my roommates had a lot of bonding time. We took a left-handed test, and I taught Ashley how to sweep properly and how to use a power drill. That was fun. Today, we had our last roommate dinner. Tomorrow will take Taylor away from us, and Erin not much later. It was a bittersweet night.
Ashley, Erin, Taylor, Me

I found another gem in my bible today. It's from Phil 3:2-3, which says, "Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh". True circiumcision refers to the spiritual circumcision of the heart, which happens at Baptism. This spiritual circumcision is obviously prefigured with bodily circumcision, but is no longer neccesary (because we now have the true circumcism). Deuteronomy 30:6 tells us that God will circumcise our hearts so that we will love God with all our hearts and souls. VERY COOL!

My family is on an Alaskan cruise right now. I couldn't go because of my classes, but last I heard they watched a lumberjack show.

I've been thinking a lot lately about judging. When did I come to think I am the one who has everything so figured out that everyone should listen to every preference of mine like it's fact? It makes sense to want to agree with and like everything you believe, but some things just don't matter. I have a duty to correct sin, or in the least pray for those I see sinning. I also have a duty to strive for holiness myself, and going around as if I'm perfect, with all the answers and that everyone eles is simply wrong, is not a promising path. I think this thinking also leads into the idea that you can choose what to believe, or that you can disagree with the church or what it allows. I need to work on my humility.

Here's a quote from http://abbey-roads.blogspot.com/2010/06/just-thought.html:
"What if you were the reason a person refused to come back to Christ? What if your self-righteous, judgmental, dogmatic, theologically correct attitude repelled a soul from accepting Church teaching, from reconciling with the Church, from faith itself? What if they were just on the edge of conversion and one of your contemptuous sneers, caustic remarks, or hostile snubs drove them away?"
I also read this, which talks about emptying ourselves of what we think we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment