Sunday, September 5, 2010

I suppose God rests, but…

…I have no evidence for that. Okay, except in Genesis, where it says He rested. But really, God takes no breaks with me. Since my post on humility, and almost immediately afterwards, I’ve been bombarded with “humble-talk”. That means everyday, in some aspect (whether at Mass, taking to others, reading something, or even in class), humility comes up. It was blaring in the readings last Sunday.
At a retreat I went on last week, we touched on Ignatian Spirituality in which this is the First Principle and Foundation (underlines mine):
Man is created to praise, reverence, and serve God Our Lord, and by this means to save his soul. All the other things on the face of the earth are created for man and that they may help him in prosecuting the end for which he is created. From this it follows that man is to use them as much as they help him on to his end, and ought to rid himself of them so far as they hinder him as to it. For this it is necessary to make ourselves indifferent to all created things in all that is allowed to the choice of our free will and is not prohibited to it; so that, on our part, we want not health rather than sickness, riches rather than poverty, honor rather than dishonor, long rather than short life, and so in all the rest; desiring and choosing only what is most conducive for us to the end for which we are created.

It talks about many things here, and I looked at it at the time through “humility goggles”. I can’t depend to much on created things, because they are only meant to point me to God. And I should do just that for everyone I meet, and no more.
So some thoughts:

Since God thought me into existence, and keeps me in existence because He loves me, then I must (and will) be satisfied with that. I can be satisfied (and by satisfied, I mean completely with nothing more possible) because He made me, and knows me more deeply than anyone ever could. He sees my pain clearly and perfectly and knows exactly what I need. He is the only one who can, will and does save me from darkness and death. He is the only one who truly matters and I can rely only on Him to reassure me, feed me, love me. And since I continue to exist I can be sure of His love, and that will be enough for me.
I’m sure He isn’t done with me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment